The Moon is waning to a new moon on July 28th at 1:55 p.m. ET/10:55 a.m. PT. This is the time when the Moon is lost in the glare of the Sun and completely invisible. The July new moon is a powerful time that can give impetus to our spiritual development and personal evolution. In this article, I will share with you everything you need to know about this new moon.
The New Moon In Vedic Astrology
In Vedic astrology, the new moon is called Amavasya. It is the time when the Moon and the Sun line up.
According to Vedic astrology, Shukla paksha or the bright part of the lunar month begins with Amavasya, when one can count on the indulgence and benefits of the gods. It is recommended to dedicate the new moon to spiritual practices, offerings, and prayers. It is also considered a favorable period for completing previously started projects, cleaning, and charity.
Amavasya is considered the most favorable period to engage in your personal development, spend this day in meditation and prayers.
It is said that any activity related to material affairs will not bring any benefits on this day. However, any spiritual practice you engage in will multiply its benefits when performed during Amavasya. The same can be said about charity and donations done during Amavasya – you will be generously rewarded for your acts of kindness.
The July New Moon
According to Jyotish (Vedic astrology), the July new moon occurs in Cancer. Cancer is a very sensitive and sentimental constellation. Therefore, it is better to spend the new moon day on July 28th with your family or alone with your favorite book and a cup of herbal tea.
This lunar month will concentrate our emotions in the sphere of home life. Therefore, the lesson of this lunar month is to focus on our family needs – to take care of our family members and parents. This is a good time to take care of the house and make it more cozy and welcoming. Do some energy cleansing in your house and bring some fresh flowers to improve the vibe.
This is a good time to practice reconnecting with the family, improving the relationship with parents, letting go of resentment, and healing your transgenerational trauma.
The New Moon In Pushya Nakshatra
According to Vedic astrology, the July new moon is occurring in the lunar mansion of Pushya Nakshatra.
Pushya is a Saturn-ruled nakshatra. It carries the iconography of an arrowhead and/or a flower/herb. The arrow symbolizes deadly force, suggesting that the bounties of this Nakshatra are not to be scorned or trifled with. The flowering stage of a plant’s life cycle is a symbol of maturity and endurance, an indicator that nectar is ready to be shared.
Pushya Nakshatra also carries the symbology of an udder of a cow, highlighting its nurturing nature. It is traditionally called ‘the nourisher’ for its spiritual wisdom, commitment, benevolence, and self-inquiry qualities. It rewards both spiritually and materially, enabling spiritual growth, wisdom, and prosperity.
Under the influence of Pushya Nakshatra, people start believing that they know all the rules and that others must follow them. During the July new moon, we may notice that many people seem more arrogant than usual. This will make them believe that they are the ones who are right and the whole world is wrong. And this may lead to a conflict.
Pushya Nakshatra may cause:
- respiratory ailments such as asthma and tuberculosis;
- gastric ulcers;
- weakness of the stomach;
- problems with ribs;
- lungs diseases;
- mouth/gums diseases.
Spiritual Lessons to Learn During the July New Moon
- Develop trust in God (trust that whatever is happening in your life is for your Highest Good)
- Cultivate the inner purity of emotions
- Work on developing your intuition and trusting your inner voice
- Reconnect with your ancestors and express your gratitude to them through a payer or a mantra
- How do you take care of someone? Do you accept care? Meditate on these questions during the July new moon
- Meditate and make a list of things that give you a sense of security
Dos and Don’ts During the July New Moon
Amavasya is one of the best days for donations. When you’re making donations during the new moon, the beneficial effect of it is greatly enhanced, and your negative karma gets purified.
Our emotions play a very important role on the new moon. If you are happy on this day, you will become even happier, if you are unhappy – you will become unhappier. Any of our qualities are strengthened on this day. Therefore, the new moon is a very important time for spiritual seekers, since the effect of any puja or recited mantra becomes even stronger on this day.
Amavasya is a great time for new beginnings. This is the time to discard old habits and thoughts, all failures, and embrace the new experience that the new moon promises us.
Favorable activities during Amavasya:
- Completing tasks
- Paying off debts
- Throwing away the old and unnecessary things
- Giving donations and gifts
- Meeting with your parents or other family members
- Performing any spiritual practices
- House cleaning (it will help you to clean not only the space around you but also your mind)
- Honoring deceased ancestors (you can just think about them or look at their pictures)
- Doing charity (you can donate anything except money)
- Tuning in to harmony and love
- Forgiving yourself and others
Unfavorable activities during Amavasya:
- Making important purchases
- Getting married
- Making important appointments
- Start training
- Making promises
- Start building a house, or enter the house
- Making final decisions
- Taking trips, business trips, travel
- Making repairs, renovations
- Appointing important meetings that can affect the execution of transactions, conduct of business, etc.
- Making money transactions (invest money, transfer large sums, borrow or lend);
Manifesting On New Moon
It’s very beneficial to use positive affirmations during the new moon. During this time, affirmations have a special power – they make your positive thoughts and intentions grow and gain strength more quickly. That is why such practices as Creating a vision board or Reiki wish box, will be particularly effective on the new moon.
Here are some examples of the high-vibe affirmations you can practice on the New Moon:
- Love is my inspiration, my conversation, and my life! Peace is my natural state! Gratitude is my way of seeing and being! The face of God greets me everywhere I go!
- Every cell of my body temple celebrates health and wholeness!
- All my relationships match the high vibration of unconditional love!
- Positive thoughts revitalize my body temple!
- Abundance blesses every aspect of my life!
- I am guided, governed, and gifted by the eternal presence of Spirit within me! The high frequency of divine love resounds through all of my relationships! Excellence is encoded in my soul and evident in my expression! A consciousness of awe and wonder makes things possible in my life!
- My commitment to peace, love, and kindness raises the vibrations of the planet!
- The sweet water of appreciation bathes everything I do!
The Moon Mantra
During the New Moon, it’s beneficial to chant the Moon mantra “Om Chandraya Namaha” 108 times. This powerful mantra vibrates with the energy of the Moon. Chanting this beautiful mantra will help you see things more clearly and look beyond “illusions” to see the deeper meaning in things and the truth that lies within.
Buddha Shakyamuni Mantra
It is very beneficial to chant the Buddha Shakyamuni mantra during the new moon. Recite “Om Muni Muni Maha Muniye Soha” 3, 7, 21, or 108 times. When chanting the mantra, visualize how the Divine Light purifies all your subtle bodies and frees your consciousness from outdated programs.
Chanting the Buddha Shakyamuni mantra brings a change in our consciousness, helps to reach enlightenment, inspires us with new ideas, and gives us confidence in our abilities. Also, it relieves uncertainty and distorted perception of reality.
The Bottom Line
Every month the new moon gives us a great opportunity to reconnect with our shadow self, cleanse, and heal. The July new moon magnifies the will to obtain what we desire. Use the days surrounding the new moon to envision what it is your soul wants to manifest and to listen closely to your intuition. This is a great time to decide what you really want and to use the manifesting power of the moon to make it happen.