Every year an awe-inspiring celestial event occurs that has been celebrated throughout history and across cultures: the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. This phenomenon, which will occur on June 21, 2023, at 10:58 a.m. EDT, is not only a scientific marvel but also a spiritual opportunity filled with rituals and practices that can help us harness the Sun’s energy. Join me as we delve into the mystical world of the summer solstice 2023.
The Solar Event Explained
The summer solstice is a natural phenomenon that takes place when the Earth’s axial tilt is closest to the Sun. This event marks the commencement of summer in the northern hemisphere and is characterized by the longest day of the year. During the solstice, solar energy is at its peak, making it a powerful day for rituals, meditations, and other spiritual practices.
The Vedic Astrological Perspective
In the realm of Vedic astrology, the period from the summer solstice to the winter solstice is known as dakshinayana. As per ancient texts like the Puranas, this is a time when celestial beings are believed to be in a period of rest. The Sun’s path across the sky begins to shift southward, marking this celestial period.
Those who are spiritually inclined often find dakshinayana to be a significant phase in their journey. Practices dedicated to Surya, the Sun deity, performed on the day of the summer solstice, can bring about improvements in various aspects of life.
Summer Solstice 2023
Celebrating the summer solstice isn’t just about acknowledging a celestial event. It’s also about performing rituals that can help harness the potent energy of the day. The day of the summer solstice is a very powerful period when you can manifest your intentions. Here are some rituals for the summer solstice that you can implement:
- Perform Charitable Acts for Manifesting Financial Prosperity: If you want to improve your financial situation, consider performing acts of charity on the summer solstice day. Generosity can help clear karmic debts and create space for prosperity and abundance.
- Perform Acts of Kindness for Manifesting Love: If you’re looking to enhance your love life, perform kind acts for the opposite sex. This could be as simple as giving a compliment or a gift. If you’re in a relationship, consider planning a special date or dinner to show appreciation and love to your partner.
- Perform Affirmations for Manifesting Health: Prior to consuming any food on the day of the summer solstice, recite a health-focused affirmation like, “This food nourishes my body and spirit, restores my strength, and heals me.”
Things to Do On Summer Solstice 2023
The summer solstice is a day to be embraced fully. Here are a few activities that you can do to make the most of this powerful day:
- Get up during the Brahma Muhurta time and perform the Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) to greet the Sun.
- Spend as much time outdoors as possible. Consider having a picnic or simply taking a leisurely walk in a park.
- Decorate your home with summer flowers in hues of yellow, orange, and red. Consider arranging fruit bowls and placing candles around the house.
- Engage in gardening activities. However, remember to balance it with periods of relaxation.
- If possible, take a dip in a body of water like an ocean, lake, or river to strengthen your connection with nature.
- Dedicate some time to meditation and pranayama (breathing exercises).
- Write down your goals and intentions for the year in a planner or journal.
Practices, Rituals, and Mantras
Reconnecting With Nature
As I have already said, it is essential to feel your unity with nature on the day of the summer solstice. To do this, you can walk barefoot, for example. And you may also want to perform the practice that is called “Reconnecting with nature”. It’s best to be performed outdoors somewhere in nature. But if you don’t have the opportunity to practice it someplace in nature, you can perform it in your backyard, patio, or even inside.
This practice will be especially beneficial for those who:
- have circulatory problems, eating disorders, or joint problems;
- feel unstable and insecure in your life;
- lack balance between work and personal life;
- often experience dizziness;
- experience fears or phobias.
- Take a few deep breaths and slow exhalations, and close your eyes.
- Imagine that you are in a cave. Look around and find a way out. Go outside the cave – you are in a beautiful green forest. You can hear the sound of a stream, the rustle of leaves, and the birds singing. Under your feet, you can see stairs leading down into the Earth. Go down these steps, don’t be afraid.
- As you descend deeper, you can hear the steady heartbeat of the Earth. Adjust your heartbeat to the natural beat. Feel the relaxation, the lightness.
- You have descended to the very heart of the Earth. Lie down directly on the ground, feel with your back and palms how Nature is happy to meet you, and feel how it fills you in with its healing energy and power. Feel the care, support, and protection of Nature.
- Let the planet feel your love. Be grateful for this invisible care and support.
- Now stand up, climb the stairs to the cave, take a deep breath, and open your eyes.
Ritual “Reconnecting With The Sun”
- Stand facing East. Look in the direction where the reborn Sun rises.
- Say your gratitude to the Sun for all the good things in your life and ask for guidance and assistance in the future.
- Visualize your future as you would like it to be. Listen to yourself. What do you feel? Immerse yourself in your feelings. Let the sun recharge you and fill you with its energy.
- Make yourself comfortable: lie down or sit down in a meditative posture.
- Close your eyes, take a few deep breaths, and slow exhalations. As you inhale, imagine how the solar energy of golden color enters your Solar Plexus (Manipura chakra) along with the air.
- When you feel the heat in your Solar Plexus, mentally say the words: “I feel the power of sunlight in me. I am one with the energy of the Universal abundance. I attract prosperity and embrace abundance in my life. So it is!”
- Feel how the energy of the Sun is circulating inside you and how its heat spreads from the Manipura chakra and fills your entire body.
- Say your gratitude to the Universe for everything it gives you, for the abundant life, and limitless opportunities. Smile and open your eyes.
To harmonize the energy of the Sun on the day of the summer solstice, you can use the Surya mantra. It is best to recite this mantra at dawn, noon, or sunset 2, 9, 27, or 108 times. It’s recommended to light a candle while reciting the mantra, it will symbolize solar energy.
Before reciting the mantra, mentally formulate your intention, which you direct to Surya (this is the name of the Sun in the Vedic tradition). For example, you may say: “I dedicate reciting of this mantra to the materialization of my intention to become successful and prosperous”.
This is one of the most powerful Surya mantras:
Om Hrim Sum Suryaya Namah
The Summer Solstice 2023, with its unique interplay of celestial influences, presents a unique opportunity for growth, transformation, and manifestation. As we celebrate the longest day of the year, let’s express our gratitude for the life-giving Sun and Mother Earth and make the most of this powerful day by engaging in rituals, practices, and activities that resonate with us.