The moon is waning to a new moon on August 27th at 4:16 A.M. ET. This is a time when the Moon is lost in the glare of the Sun and completely invisible. The August new moon is a powerful time that can give impetus to our spiritual development and personal evolution. In this article, I will share with you everything you need to know about this new moon.
The New Moon In Vedic Astrology
In Vedic astrology, the new moon is called Amavasya. It is the time when the Moon and the Sun line up.
According to Vedic astrology, Shukla paksha, the brightest part of the lunar month begins with Amavasya, when one can count on the indulgence and benefits of the gods. It is recommended to dedicate the new moon to spiritual practices, offerings, and prayers. It is also considered a favorable period for completing previously started projects, cleaning, and charity.
Amavasya is considered the most favorable period to engage in your personal development; spend this day in meditation and prayers.
It is said that any activity related to material affairs will not bring any benefits on this day. However, any spiritual practice you engage in will multiply its benefits when performed during Amavasya. The same can be said about charity and donations done during Amavasya – you will be generously rewarded for your acts of kindness.
The August New Moon
According to Jyotish (Vedic astrology), the August new moon occurs in Leo. Leo is an individualistic constellation. Therefore the theme of this lunar month is the expression of one’s individuality. This lunar month is perfect for taking care of yourself and working on developing your self-esteem, confidence, and courage.
Leo will give many of us a strong desire to feel personal significance, personal uniqueness, and peculiarity. This sets the theme of this new moon. The energy of this new moon will make people strive for attention, they will want to be noticed and appreciated. Therefore, try to tell your loved ones how much you appreciate and love them on this day. Keep criticism to a minimum, as it can be perceived painfully and can really hurt a person.
The New Moon In Magha Nakshatra
According to Vedic astrology, the August new moon is occurring in the lunar mansion of Magha Nakshatra. Let’s take a closer look at this lunar mansion and what kind of energy it represents.
Magha is a Ketu-ruled nakshatra. It carries the iconography of a crown. Symbolically this nakshatra occupies the ‘lion’s heart’, nested within the chest of the royal constellation – Leonis.
Magha nakshatra during August new moon brings a mixture of ruthlessness tempered with strange subservience to an unseen power. The influence of this nakshatra is going to be sharp. There is a high chance of getting involved in quarrels and conflict situations during this new moon. Also, there is a high risk of food poisoning, destruction, and accidents.
You should also know that Magha nakshatra enhances the ability to leave your body – this is usually called ‘astral projection‘. Therefore, spontaneous exits from the body during sleep and meditation can be common during this new moon. If you have astral attacks, make sure you use protection!
The negative influence of this nakshatra can also manifest itself as self-doubt, arrogance, and racial superiority.
Try to focus more on humility, assertiveness, and taking personal responsibility for your actions during this new moon.
The nature of Magha nakshatra: Tamas
Tamas conceals the presence of consciousness. It causes dullness and ignorance through its power to obscure. Its nature is heavy and dense. Tamas represents a state of darkness, inertia, inactivity, and materiality. It manifests itself in the form of ignorance.
The new moon in Tamas manifests itself as a lack of confidence and security, an inability to control desires. There may also be internal resistance to any kind of change.
The goal of Magha nakshatra: Artha
Artha can be translated from Sanskrit as “wealth,” or “property”. Thus, the goal of Magha nakshatra is gaining material well-being. This is the acquisition of the necessary means (this may include knowledge as wealth) in order to stand firmly on your feet and enjoy life. During this new moon, people will be concentrated on material issues, whereas self-development will be of little interest.
Spiritual Lessons to Learn During the New Moon In Leo
- During the new moon in Leo, the ego attachments become more visible, and the causes of self-doubt are highlighted. This is a good time for working on self-confidence. The energy of the new moon will help to acquire this quality throughout the month.
- Watch your ego! Instead of waiting for being appreciated by others, start to give appreciation to those around you. As I mentioned above, everyone will feel a little more insecure during this new moon. Therefore, your compliment or words of appreciation may help others to feel better about themselves.
- Refrain from criticism! Don’t criticize people even in your thoughts. Let people be the way they are without trying to change them or tell them what to do. Any criticism during the new moon in Leo may really hurt people and even lead to a fight. Therefore, try to control your thoughts and your words.
Dos and Don’ts During the July New Moon
Amavasya is one of the best days for donations. When you’re making donations during the new moon, the beneficial effect of it is greatly enhanced, and your negative karma gets purified.
Our emotions play a very important role on the new moon. If you are happy on this day, you will become even happier; if you are unhappy – you will become unhappier. Any of our qualities are strengthened on this day. Therefore, the new moon is a very important time for spiritual seekers since the effect of any puja or recited mantra becomes even stronger on this day.
Amavasya is a great time for new beginnings. This is the time to discard old habits and thoughts, all failures, and embrace the new experience that the new moon promises us.
Favorable activities during Amavasya:
- Completing tasks
- Paying off debts
- Throwing away the old and unnecessary things
- Giving donations and gifts
- Meeting with your parents or other family members
- Performing any spiritual practices
- House cleaning (it will help you to clean not only the space around you but also your mind)
- Honoring deceased ancestors (you can just think about them or look at their pictures)
- Doing charity (you can donate anything except money)
- Tuning in to harmony and love
- Forgiving yourself and others
Unfavorable activities during Amavasya:
- Making important purchases
- Getting married
- Making important appointments
- Start training
- Making promises
- Start building a house, or enter the house
- Making final decisions
- Taking trips, business trips, travel
- Making repairs, renovations
- Appointing important meetings that can affect the execution of transactions, the conduct of business, etc.
- Making money transactions (invest money, transfer large sums, borrow or lend);
Manifesting On New Moon
It’s very beneficial to use positive affirmations during the new moon. During this time, affirmations have a special power – they make your positive thoughts and intentions grow and gain strength more quickly. That is why such practices as creating a vision board or Reiki wish box, will be particularly effective on the new moon.
Here are some examples of the high-vibe affirmations you can practice on the New Moon:
- Love is my inspiration, my conversation, and my life! Peace is my natural state! Gratitude is my way of seeing and being! The face of God greets me everywhere I go!
- Every cell of my body temple celebrates health and wholeness!
- All my relationships match the high vibration of unconditional love!
- Positive thoughts revitalize my body temple!
- Abundance blesses every aspect of my life!
- I am guided, governed, and gifted by the eternal presence of Spirit within me! The high frequency of divine love resounds through all of my relationships! Excellence is encoded in my soul and evident in my expression! A consciousness of awe and wonder makes things possible in my life!
- My commitment to peace, love, and kindness raises the vibrations of the planet!
- The sweet water of appreciation bathes everything I do!
The Moon Mantra
During the New Moon, it’s beneficial to chant the Moon mantra “Om Chandraya Namaha” 108 times. This powerful mantra vibrates with the energy of the Moon. Chanting this beautiful mantra will help you see things more clearly and look beyond “illusions” to see the deeper meaning in things and the truth that lies within.
Buddha Shakyamuni Mantra
It is very beneficial to chant the Buddha Shakyamuni mantra during the new moon. Recite “Om Muni Muni Maha Muniye Soha” 3, 7, 21, or 108 times. When chanting the mantra, visualize how the Divine Light purifies all your subtle bodies and frees your consciousness from outdated programs.
Chanting the Buddha Shakyamuni mantra brings a change in our consciousness, helps to reach enlightenment, inspires us with new ideas, and gives us confidence in our abilities. Also, it relieves uncertainty and distorted perception of reality.
The Bottom Line
Every month the new moon gives us a great opportunity to reconnect with our shadow self, cleanse, and heal. Try not to focus on worries and fears; on the contrary, let them go and try to think about the good. The new moon in Leo will teach us how to take control of our ego and pride. This is a powerful time for transmuting our pride into the unconditional service of others. Be kind and gentle with people during this new moon and always!