The Hare Krishna mantra (also known as Maha Mantra) is dedicated to Krishna, one of the divine forms in Hinduism. Krishna was the eighth avatar of Vishnu. The text of Maha Mantra was widely spread in the world thanks to the religious organization “The International Society for Krishna Consciousness“, which preached love for Krishna in Western countries.
In this sacred mantra, we appeal to the three names of God. “Hare” – to the divine energy, and Krishna and Rama – directly to God. The very words “Krishna” and “Rama” mean the highest bliss, and “Hare” is the Supreme divine energy of bliss, which helps to reach God.
Benefits Of The Hare Krishna Mantra Chanting
Other important benefits of the Hare Krishna Mantra are:
- it takes away all worries;
- gives joy, happiness, harmony, and positive energy;
- destroys evil and ignorance;
- opens up new knowledge and wisdom;
- takes away sorrow, sadness, and misfortune;
- awakens love for all beings;
- illuminates with light;
- helps in the treatment of heart disease;
- has a rejuvenating effect;
- relieves addictions to intoxicating and narcotic substances.
It is also believed that the Hare Krishna mantra fulfills desires. To do this, you need to think about the desired during the mantra chanting.
The Text Of The Hare Krishna Mantra
HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA
KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE
HARE RAMA HARE RAMA
RAMA RAMA HARE HARE
Rules Of The Hare Krishna Mantra Chanting
Original daily japa (the practice of meditative repetition of a mantra) for this mantra consists of 60 rounds, where one round of japa is 108 repetitions. However, with increasing popularity, the Hare Krishna mantra began to chant for 16 rounds.
On average, one round takes from six to nine minutes, depending on the speed of chanting. This practice takes about two hours. Beginners are allowed to chant one or two rounds. More advanced practitioners can chant the mantra mentally while doing some work.
Other important rules:
1. All mantras, especially at the initial stage of practice, should be pronounced loudly and clearly.
2. During the chanting, you need to focus on the resulting sound.
3. Practice should be performed in a quiet place, nothing should distract you. At the same time, if possible, you can practice mantra chanting while walking.
4. The chanting of the sacred texts is permitted for any motive.
5. For performing mantra chanting you need to be in a pure state of consciousness. In no case should you drink alcohol or use any kinds of drugs before performing mantra chanting.
Types Of Meditation For The Krishna Mantra Practice
There are two types of meditation with this mantra:
- Practice alone: when the practitioner chants the mantra using prayer beads.
- Mantra singing by repeating after the teacher, audio recording, with musical instruments or clapping hands.
Each type of meditation has its own benefits. Therefore, it is advised to periodically practice both types.
The Effect Of Sacred The Krishna Mantra Sounds
One who chants the holy name of the Lord is immediately freed from the reactions of unlimited sins, even if he chants indirectly [to indicate something else], jokingly, for musical entertainment, or even neglectfully. This is accepted by all the learned scholars of the scriptures.
The sounds of the Hare Krishna mantra are sacred in their nature. Therefore the sound vibration generated by the chanting of this mantra is transcendental to all lower levels of consciousness — mind, intellect, and senses.
It descends directly from the spiritual level, and therefore anyone without any prior preparation can begin to chant this mantra and feel the bliss that it brings. Even a child can chant this mantra!
When a spiritually developed person with a pure soul and thoughts performs this mantra it brings the most powerful effect on the listeners. Therefore it’s very beneficial to listen to The Hare Krishna mantra.
The Bottom Line
The Vedas predicted the coming of a tribe that will dance on the ground with their hands up and vertical tilaka on their foreheads. They will be singing the Hare Krishna mantra. This will destroy the influence of Kali Yuga and people will be enlightened and liberated. This time is predicted by many others, including the Bible and Nostradamus, telling us that the Golden age on earth will come.
The Hare Krishna Mantra is the sound representative of the Supreme Lord, or in other words the sound incarnation of the Universe. The sound of this mantra is the sound of the transcendent spiritual world. It directly affects the ether in the heart, eliminating the causes of our suffering and weakening the potency of the ego.