India brought to other countries its special spiritual Outlook. We know India as the birthplace and development of amazing practices aimed at achieving harmonious coexistence of physical and mental aspects. Kundalini yoga is one of these practices.
Kundalini yoga is a special kind of yoga with its special breathing techniques, asanas, meditation practices, and mantras. The most important thing in Kundalini yoga is to achieve a uniform circulation of Kundalini energy from the point of its concentration (the base of the spine) to the top through all the main chakras. This allows the yogi to achieve different spiritual and physical goals.
Kundalini yoga is also known as the yoga of awareness. The founder of this doctrine was Yogi Bhajan (Siri Singh Sahib). Thanks to him, first the United States and then the whole world learned about Kundalini yoga.
What Is Kundalini?
In order to understand the purpose of Kundalini yoga, you should understand what Kundalini is.
Kundalini is energy, which is the basis of birth and spiritual development. From Sanskrit, the word “Kundalini” can be translated approximately as: “like a sleeping snake, rolled into a ball, the force, securely hidden.” Indeed, in Ayurveda and yoga, Kundalini is compared to a snake that sleeps in every person from the moment of birth in the Muladhara chakra region, located at the base of the spine. With the help of particular practices energy can be awakened, to cause to move up through all the chakra straight to Sahasrara (Crown) chakra. This promotes spiritual development of the personality, creative realization, healing from diseases, the cause of which lies in the violation of the circulation of energy in the chakras.
The Goals Of Kundalini Yoga And Its Features
Indian spiritual practice of Kundalini yoga helps to achieve different goals. Since this kind of yoga represents “yoga of awareness”, its main meaning lies in the concentrated self-knowledge, the elevation of the spirit, the disclosure of the higher meaning.
The main goals of Kundalini yoga are :
- getting rid of the inner duality that prevents one from rising above the material;
- full awakening of consciousness, its purification, expansion;
- promoting inner peace, achieving good results in business.
In contrast to some areas of yoga, that require a departure from society and acceptance of celibacy, Kundalini yoga is intended for family and working people, which was noted by Yogi Bhajan himself.
The Kundalini Yoga doctrine has special techniques and exercises, such as:
- Halasana – for strengthening the spinal muscles, maintaining the flexibility of the spine.
- Paschimottanasana – for strengthening the digestive fire, reduce fat deposits in the abdominal area.
- Surya Namaskar – to open the heart chakra and let in divine love.
Kundalini yoga can be quite a dangerous spiritual practice. All because with the awakening of the powerful Kundalini energy the body and energy essence of man is undergoing major changes. Following the change of the physical body, the quality of perception, consciousness, priorities also change. Along with the awakening of Kundalini in the body, there is growing confidence in a person’s abilities, out of fear and anxiety. Only those who sincerely want to understand divine love and give their love to all living beings are able to achieve the highest results in the path of Kundalini yoga.
To start practicing, you do not need any special physical skills, however, it is better to perform the exercises under the guidance of an experienced yogi. Feedback from those who have embarked on the path of Kundalini yoga suggests that changes are happening very quickly. Therefore, the help of a guide is very important in the initial stages of the practice.
The Importance Of Kriyas In Kundalini Yoga
Before you begin to master the practice of Kundalini yoga, you must pass the preparatory stage, which consists of physical and moral purification. The thing is that the awakened Kundalini energy in a person with negative thoughts and qualities (even if his body is relatively healthy) will “work” against him. Without clearing the mind of traces of the former karma, and without changing the perception of yourself and the world, if you begin to actively engage in the practice of yoga you will quickly begin to develop various violations, especially mental nature.
Kundalini yoga uses various techniques, called “kriyas”, for the purpose of physical and psychological purification. These techniques include water, air, and energy cleansing. These exercises like Trataka, Basti, and others will help to develop endurance, develop flexibility, strengthen the body, give the body strength. Special diet regimens or even fasting can also be used to detox your body.
To purify the mental body, to establish harmony between self-perception and the perception of the world, to learn to communicate with themselves and others on a spiritual level, in kundalini yoga we use meditation, mantra singing, concentration, and visualization techniques.
What You Need To Know Before Your Start Your Kundalini Yoga Practice
Kundalini yoga is a serious practice, so it requires discipline, responsibly and deep knowledge of this practice. If you’re thinking about taking a kundalini yoga class, it is useful to read the following recommendations.
1. The first thing you need to know is that there are some contraindications to Kundalini yoga.
This list includes:
- congenital heart prophet;
- taking potent drugs (antidepressants, tranquilizers);
- the state of drug or alcohol intoxication;
In case of any diseases of the cardiovascular system, cases of dizziness or fainting, hypotension, allergies, depression or after suffering serious injuries, it is better to consult with a specialist, whether the practice of Kundalini yoga will not produce any harm.
2. Classes should be held individually for each person pace.
With each training, the time allotted to perform the exercises can be increased. It is unacceptable to endure pain or severe discomfort that occurs during exercise.
3. It is necessary to drink small amounts of water during training.
4. During your Kundalini Yoga class, it is preferable to wear clothing made from natural fabrics.
5. It is desirable to take off all your jewelry before starting your practice to avoid injury.
6. You need to eat at least 3 hours before the start of your yoga class.
7. Do not drink coffee before your kundalini yoga class.
8. Kundalini Yoga is absolutely incompatible with alcohol, drugs, or smoking.
9. Mantras play a very important role in Kundalini yoga practice.
Mantras should not be avoided. Even if you do not believe in their power, they still work.
10. During menstruation, women should refrain from performing exercises on the press, upside down poses and breathing stomach.
11. It is not necessary to struggle with your thoughts arising in the process of performing exercises or meditations.
Such a struggle will only disperse attention.
12. Most importantly, you should be prepared for the fact that Kundalini yoga gives incredibly fast results.
If you correctly perform all the techniques, you’ll gain a very powerful tool for your spiritual development.